Saturday, October 27, 2012

Books books books

I finally got a Logan library card a couple of months ago.  Before I was just borrowing Jesse and Justin's card, which by the way I think I still have and need to give back to them.  But anyway, since I started working at Conservice and since I was so busy dating Trevor and then being engaged and then getting married -- I didn't really have a lot of time to read.  I was rereading the Harry Potter books which took me forever and I reread other books here and there.  But NOW I have gotten back into the swing of book reading!  And I've found new books lately that are pretty good.

First, I was googling and found out that the author who wrote The Giver, Lois Lowry, wrote some other books from the same "universe".  There are four and the last one just came out this year sometime.
The Giver
Gathering Blue
Messenger
Son
I've only read Messenger, other than the Giver.  Accidentally skipped Gathering Blue.  Messenger was alright -- pretty interesting story but I didn't like the ending.  Which it seems like I never do like the endings of books.  Maybe because in my mind I'm imagining what the ending will be like or what "should" happen and then when it doesn't I'm disappointed.  But I'm excited to read the other ones soon!

Then on the Logan Library website there's an Employee Suggestion of the Month, or something like that.  And this suggestion I saw was Crossed, which is actually the second book in a trilogy.  The trilogy is about a "dystopian future" - where the government basically controls everything and they have programs or something that match you with your perfect mate.  So they pick your spouse.  And then they analyze your behaviors and pick your career and tell you where to live and relocate you if they want.  They've done it long enough that they've weeded out unwanted diseases and stuff.  Anyway, I read the first book Matched, which is when the main character gets her match.  When they are matched, since most of the time they don't know each other before they're matched, they get a chip that tells them about their future spouse.  But the main character when she reads her chip there are two guys on it, the one she was matched with and a neighbor of hers.  So the story is about her realizing the society isn't perfect and she realizes she wants to be able to choose instead of have everything dictated.  That's the first book.  I haven't gotten the second book quite yet, but it should be interesting.  It starts out a little slow, but it isn't so ... over-dramatic or ridiculous as the Twilight books, like with this "love triangle" -- which is what I worried about.

Lastly, I've been reading a series called The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis.  Can I just say that he writes SOO well.  There's nothing wrong with modern books, but they are written to be easily read.  Like Twilight or Matched -- modern language, simple language, fun to read, easy to connect with I guess.  Which is good, but C.S. Lewis is like a legitimate WRITER.  There are all kinds of words that I don't know or have never heard of before.  It's really fun for me since I haven't been in school for a while and haven't had to read books like his.
Anyway, the Space Trilogy is brilliant.  The main character is a philologist named Ransom.  Which is a word I had to look up.  It means a person who studies language, mostly old languages, or written texts, according to google.  The first book is Out of the Silent Planet, which tells how Ransom is kidnapped to Mars.  Then Perelandra, which is told on Venus.  The last book is That Hideous Strength, which I'm almost done reading.
I think the thing I like the most is that C.S. Lewis is writing about real good vs evil.  He is laying out God is good and there's something else that's influencing for the bad side.  The characters have to make moral decisions and overcome temptation.  Maybe that's more the last book.  The first book is kinda like an introduction.  It's a good story and really interesting.  The second book is really kinda creepy.  Ransom meets the devil, basically, or one of the devil's angels, and has to fight him.  And then this third book is on Earth.  I don't want to give too much away.  But the books are written so well and I just LOVE them!

**Fair warning: That Hideous Strength ends really weird and creepy.

Also from the library, we've been checking out movies and music.  It's been fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment